Industrial complex(need help)

Viewing 1 to 5 (5 Total)
Industrial complex(need help)
RailBlox Colin Redner
Total Posts: 57

I am currently working on a 5' x 5' industrial complex (a warehouse) and am in need of  a roof. Any suggestions? I have a roof budget of about $30 and it needs to be smooth on top (so no Lego or baseplates). I thought of drywall, but instantly threw that idea out the door. Plywood is a little too heavy for Lego, and not very smooth.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

-Colin

BTW Jeramy, i didn't know which topic to post this in, so let me know if i need to change it.

Posted on October 30, 2011 at 1:10 PM
Reply Quote
chris baker
Total Posts: 14

re: Industrial complex(need help)

The best thing I can think of would be balsa wood.  I have a local hobby shop that sells it in about 6" x 3'0" sheets. So you might have to build a support framework to attach the sheets to. After that , I would look at the skinning they use for model aircraft (radio control planes)to cover the balsa, it will give you a smooth glossy finish. But, I think after all the materials needed, it might break out of your budget.    Best of luck.

Posted on October 30, 2011 at 6:32 PM
Reply Quote
jedspurg Jeramy Spurgeon
Total Posts: 36

Not sure of the cost, but maybe thin Plexiglass?

Posted on October 30, 2011 at 10:41 PM
Reply Quote
Steve Jackson
Total Posts: 13

Does it need to be SLICK smooth, or just mostly flat, possibly with visible seams? I've seen plain old cardboard, painted with water color, used for some very realistic "tar paper" roofs on model RR layouts. And if you strip one surface layer off box cardboard, you'll get a corrugated surface!

Posted on October 31, 2011 at 2:01 AM
Reply Quote
taltosVT Elroy Davis
Total Posts: 29

For something that large, you might try sheets of foam-core.  It's light and stiff enough to help prevent sagging.  Some sort of support structure would probably still be needed.  5' is a pretty large span.

-Elroy

Posted on November 01, 2011 at 7:58 AM
Reply Quote

Subject