re: Denver and Rio Grande Western stock (and one other)

Viewing 1 to 2 (2 Total)
Theodore Maslanka
Total Posts: 3

Hello Johnny.

Nice to see another Narrow Gauge fan. I do see a few errors in the information about the Rio Grande's "Bumble Bee" scheme. Please do not take offense to this.

I believe the two classes you were looking for were "K-28" and "C-16."

To my knowledge, only four of the Rio Grande's narrow gauge engines used the Bumble Bee scheme, two of which were for a head on collision for Paramount's "Rio Grande" Movie.

C-16 # 268: To my knowledge, in 1949, the D&RGW crated the Bumble Bee scheme for use on #268 for the Chicago Railroad Fair. She would have this scheme for the rest of her career. [Officially, the Yellow color was called "Aspen Gold", but had the unofficial name of "Grande Gold"]

C-18 # 319: The locomotive was painted in the Bumble bee scheme for Paramount's "Rio Grande" movie for a wreck, and was scrapped a few months later.

C-19 #345: This was the other engine used for the "Rio Grande" movie, and was a stand in for 268 in the wreck. She was scrapped along with #319.

K-28 #473: I don't know offhand why the locomotive was painted in the Bumble Bee Scheme, but there are photos of her wearing that scheme, complete with a diamond stack and a "Kerosene" headlight.

Resources:

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr413.htm

Narrow Gauge Annual 2009

Posted on April 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Reply Quote
Wiebold4449 Johnny Rocket_486
Total Posts: 21

Wow, don't I feel sheepish right now! How can I even call myself a narrow gauge fan when I mix up the K-27s and K-28s! Oops... Well, thanks for the comment. By the way, If you love the narrow gauge, you should check out my model of K-36 #486. At least I didn't mess that one up! wink

Posted on May 15, 2013 at 2:19 AM
Reply Quote

Subject