RAILBRICKS Organized Container Swap

Viewing 1 to 6 (6 Total)
RAILBRICKS Organized Container Swap
taltosVT Elroy Davis
Total Posts: 29

It's been many years since train clubs around the world have done a shipping container swap.  Would folks be interested in RAILBRICKS facilitating a new container swap between clubs, events, and individuals?

For those unfamiliar with container swaps, 10 to 13 years ago (from a quick browse of LUGNET), the train community came up with the idea of a standard-sized "shipping container" that could be customized to represent different clubs.  At conventions, clubs would trade containers with each other, adding some interaction between groups and adding a bit of color as groups displayed their container collections on their layouts.

As an example, here are some containers on display at the 2009 NMRA convention:

NMRA Containers

Traditionally containers have been 4 x 8 studs:

Hartford NMRA 2009 Container

If groups or individuals are interested in a new swap, please reply below.  Also, if we went ahead with a container swap, should we continue with the traditional size containers that many clubs still have, or should we come up with an updated standard?

-Elroy

Posted on May 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Reply Quote
RailBlox Colin Redner
Total Posts: 57

re: RAILBRICKS Organized Container Swap

Great idea Elroy! I would be willing to take part through MichLUG/LTC.  <p> I think for standards, we may want to move to the size from the recent Maersk set. they're closer to actual scale, and allow far quite a bit more detail </p>

Posted on May 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Reply Quote
intermodalman Adam Thompson
Total Posts: 8

just a crazy thought...

but what if there were two categories for a swap, lugs and individual AFOLs

and agreed with Redner on the size update

Posted on June 09, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Reply Quote
taltosVT Elroy Davis
Total Posts: 29

Looking at the RAILBRICKS Facebook page, we have a few clubs/events that have expressed interest in a container swap.

- MichLUG/LTC

- M>LTC

- BrickFete

- Ontario Brick Builders

- BayLTC

- ArkLUG

- LUCNY

- SLTC

Several individuals have also expressed an interest.  Opinions on the size of the containers are pretty evenly split.

If we can drum up some more interest, I think we can organize something.

-Elroy

Posted on June 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Reply Quote
J.P. Manalo
Total Posts: 2

re: re: RAILBRICKS Organized Container Swap

I have just found this thread - I have a number of SLTC (Sydney L-Gauge Train Club) containers (in the 'old' size) that I'd be happy to use in a container swap. If need be, I can build more containers in either the 'old' size or the 'new' 'Maersk-train' size.

Cheers,
J.P. Manalo

Posted on June 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Reply Quote
RailBlox Colin Redner
Total Posts: 57

An official Forum Topic has been created; http://railbricks.com/forums/events/container-swap/  We ask that discussion be moved to the "discussion" thread, and watch for information in the "official Information" thread.

Posted on June 29, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Reply Quote

Subject