Mains & rc hybrid

Viewing 1 to 6 (6 Total)
Mains & rc hybrid
Rob Wilson
Total Posts: 2

Hey

I'm new to lego trains but not new to lego - although has been about 30 years since i played with it :(

Anyway, i got set 4561 and got some extra track too.

I was wondering if anyone has done the following - i searched and can't find if anyone has done exactly what i want :

I want to run mains power to the tracks but i want the train to be controlled by a r/c controller.  With this, i'd be able to run multiple engine on the one track.

My idea was for the power to be picked up through the 9v bogey and this power was not to power the wheels but to connect to an "empty" batter box.  This powered battery box would then connect the ir controller to it and it would also send power back to the wheels.

So, instead of track power -> thru wheels -> motor, i want track power tthru wheels -> battery box -> IR receiver -> motor.

I need to source myself a cheap 9v bogey/motor and take it apart and see if i can route the wiring.

Anyone done this already ?

TIA

Rob

Posted on March 03, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Reply Quote
Wiebold4449 Johnny Rocket_486
Total Posts: 21

re: Mains & rc hybrid

Ive never seen it done in lego... Though I have seen it done in a number of other areas. Try researching it with HO trains... 

Posted on March 04, 2014 at 2:37 AM
Reply Quote
Wiebold4449 Johnny Rocket_486
Total Posts: 21

Ive never seen it done in lego... Though I have seen it done in a number of other areas. Try researching it with HO trains... 

Posted on March 04, 2014 at 2:38 AM
Reply Quote
RailBlox Colin Redner
Total Posts: 57

I am only aware of one other instance: Nate over on Flickr did this with a NYC Steamer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34338074@N06/7417284488/in/set-72157630229555404

I personally would take the easy route: remove the motor from a standard 9v motor case, and use the included pickups and mounts ,through a PF Conversion cord (Lego sells them), to carry current to an IR receiver, then out to the motors. I can post a pic of this idea later if anyone wants it.

Posted on March 04, 2014 at 5:48 PM
Reply Quote
RailBlox Colin Redner
Total Posts: 57

I am only aware of one other instance: Nate over on Flickr did this with a NYC Steamer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34338074@N06/7417284488/in/set-72157630229555404

I personally would take the easy route: remove the motor from a standard 9v motor case, and use the included pickups and mounts ,through a PF Conversion cord (Lego sells them), to carry current to an IR receiver, then out to the motors. I can post a pic of this idea later if anyone wants it.

Posted on March 04, 2014 at 5:49 PM
Reply Quote
Rob Wilson
Total Posts: 2

re:re: Mains & rc hybrid

Colin Redner said:

Thanks, Colin : )

Yes - it makes more sense to use one "old" 9v motor case for pickup and then power via PF IR etc to separate motors.  Would be messy trying to have wires going from the pickup bogie out via PF ir etc and then back with more wires going back into the bogie.

I will go with your suggestion.  Off to scour ebay now for a cheap 9v bogie/motor

Thanks again

Rob

Posted on March 04, 2014 at 6:01 PM
Reply Quote

Subject