re: L-gauge as an accepted Model RR standard by the NMRA

Viewing 1 to 1 (1 Total)
re: L-gauge as an accepted Model RR standard by the NMRA
taltosVT Elroy Davis
Total Posts: 29

A few people have tried in the past, though I think the most serious effort was probably close to 10 years ago.  It really depends on who you talk to at the NMRA.  Some are very open to the idea, even encouraging L-Gauge builders to join based on their public layouts (A few of us earned "Golden Spike" awards in this way at the National Train Show in 2009).  Others are very very unwilling to recognize "a toy" as a scale.

One thing that I was told directly a few years ago is that the NMRA wouldn't recognize L-gauge as there was only one manufacturer, and thus no standards for NMRA to lobby for, which sort of makes sense, and opens up the question of "What would the NMRA be able to do for our hobby?"

Personally, the one year that I was a member of the NMRA, I didn't get much value out of it for any of the scales that I model.  Their monthly "Scale Rails" magazine was nice.  Everything else seemed to be mired in group politics that went back for more years than I've been alive.  That's not to say that I wouldn't join again, I just haven't found a compelling need to belong to the organization.

-Elroy

Posted on November 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Reply Quote

Subject