Introductions

Viewing 1 to 18 (18 Total)
Introductions
RailBlox Colin Redner
Total Posts: 56

Hey, the forums (and really the Train community) has been pretty slow lately, and there are over 600 Members here on RailBricks. So maybe we should get to know each other.

So, I encourage all of our members to reply to this post, but you dont have to answer all the questions.

Name:

Where your from:

How long you have been part of the community:

Any LUG's or groups?

Something you like or dislike about the LEGO and/or Train Community:

I'll Go first:

Colin Redner

Rural Michigan

3 years

MIchLug

Since the Train community really has only been around for a short time, it is evolving and growing very rapidly. In other Model Railroading Communities, most of the techniques and styles have been used before by someone else. Here, it seems like someone is always coming up with a technique that nobody has ever used before, and suddenly we are all using it.    

Posted on April 19, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Reply Quote
taltosVT Elroy Davis
Total Posts: 29

re: Introductions

Great idea for a thread.  I hope we'll see a few more introductions, and some more activity here on the site.

For me:

Name: Elroy Davis

Where you're from: Southern Vermont, USA

How long you have been part of the community: Looking back at LUGNET, it appears that my first post there was around 2003, so roughly nine or ten years.  I think I was following the community for a year or two before that, but wasn't really active.

Any LUG's or groups? I've been a member of NELUG for six or seven years, though I'm not as active there as I used to be.  I'm also the current editor of RAILBRICKS, which has helped keep me connected to the community as a whole.

Something you like or dislike about the LEGO and/or Train Community: One of the things that I absolutely love about the train community is seeing what a large number of builders can put together for a display, and the absolute awe that shows on the faces of visitors to shows.  Though I'm generally a fairly quiet person, I really enjoy interacting with the crowds at shows, and talking to kids about how they can build anything that they can imagine if they put their mind to it.  It's also been fun to watch builders as they grow.

-Elroy

Posted on April 25, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Reply Quote
John Zitrick
Total Posts: 3

John Z.

Eastern PA

not part of any train lug group but longtime railfan.  AFOL interested re-ignited about 6 months ago.  Most of my trains are O-gauge 3-rail, Lionel, MTH etc.  I have found that 6 wide lego trains cars can be mounted on O-gauge trucks to shake things up.  I am currently following the different car instructions on the site to hone my skills.

Might make it to BrickFest in VA this year, not sure.

Posted on May 09, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Reply Quote
Peter Norman
Total Posts: 1

Name: Peter Norman aka Swoofty

How long?: Started building again in 2001 by copying the guys I considered masters.

Lugs?: Southern California Lego Train Club (SCLTC) member since 2007. SCLTC.org

Likes or Dislikes?: I miss 9v and even 12v. PF is great for some things, but it's not for 6 wide. The up side is that Lego train builders keep going despite this adversity.

Posted on June 02, 2012 at 1:43 AM
Reply Quote
chris baker
Total Posts: 14

Name:  Chris Baker

How long?:  Came out of my dark age and started lurking in early 2010

Lugs/Groups:  No Lugs (Yet)  member in Eurobricks forum and Flickr (but don"t contribute near as much as I wish I could)

Likes/Dislikes:  LOVE the inspiration,direction,and welcoming of AFOLS,  Disappointed/aggravated(?) with difficulty aquiring large quantities of bricks,specialty pieces,sets(but I get ridiculously HAPPY when I get to buy some).

(Love the site, and I always look forward to new issues,MOCS, and general posts. Thanks Guys, from a newbie.)

Posted on June 08, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Reply Quote
intermodalman Adam Thompson
Total Posts: 8

Name: Adam Thompson

Where you're from: Florida USA

How long you have been part of the community: A year or two ago is when i discovered that im not alone

Any LUG's or groups? flickr

Something you like or dislike about the LEGO and/or Train Community: ?

Posted on August 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Reply Quote
Falk Schulz

Name: Falk Schulz (bricknerd)

Where your from: Berlin, Germany

How long you have been part of the community: James Matthis' wonderful Santa Fe Super Chief brought me out of my dark age, but it wasn't until I came across RAILBRICKS in 2009 that I started building my own MOCs.

Any LUG's or groups? Nope, just flickr

Something you like or dislike about the LEGO and/or Train Community: well, I was stuck with 4.5V as a kid and hated the dead batteries and bulky battery boxes. Now, 40 years later, I feel like having a déjà vu, and that's what's keeping me away from PF. I wish TLG would return to the marvels of 12V or at least give us some sort of power tracks. This said, it is breathtaking to see what you guys are capable of building out of these small bricks and I'm very happy to be a part of that very creative community.

Posted on October 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Reply Quote
William Hough
Total Posts: 6

Excellent lead-in for my first post on RB Forums.

Name: William "Pat" Hough

Where You're From: Houston, Texas (USA)

How Long Have You Been a Part of the (RB) Community? Precisely 53 hours and unknown number of minutes at the time of this post.

How Long Have You Been a Part of the (AFOL) Community? Since August of 2001.

Any LUGs or Groups? Member of TexLUG in three Texas cities since 2001.

Something You Like or Dislike About the LEGO and/or Train Community: As I have yet to gauge the reaction of the RB community to a shameless intrusion onto their territory by a monorail devotee, I withhold answering.

- Pat (TM)

Posted on January 24, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Reply Quote
Peter Ogilvy
Total Posts: 2

Hi All, thought I should do my introduction since I can now access the site (Thanks Colin)

Name: Peter Ogilvy

Where your from: Melbourne, Australia

How long you have been part of the community: Since 2009 apart from a couple ofd years in the mid nineties on rec.toys.lego where I found there was no-one from Melbourne active yet (pre Bricklink days too).

Any LUG's or groups? MUGs and MLTC (an formerly the Brickvention organising committee).

Something you like or dislike about the LEGO and/or Train Community: I really like the way people share techniques on Flickr and instructions here. It's hard enough to build good looking rolling stock without having to reinvent the wheel every time.

Posted on August 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Reply Quote
steph Cast
Total Posts: 6

Hi everyone, My name is Stephane Cast. I'm 37 years old. I'm from France. I hope I meet other frenchies here! I have met Lego and especially lego trains less than 1 year ago. I am not in any lego group. Sometimes I have a look at MOCpage or Flickr. Happy to join this great site.

Posted on November 05, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Reply Quote
kees Kees van Liere
Total Posts: 15

Name: Kees van Liere

Time being part of the community: I have been on Railbricks for about 2 years. I have been working with Lego since I was very little.

LTC?LUG affiliations: I am currently in an unofficial LTC. GRALTC, Grand Rapids Area LTC. Which I hope will soon be officially recognized.

Likes/ Didlikes: I always like seeing the instructions here (though I wish there were more). I like having a central place where we can share ideas etc. I also like how we don't mind each other "stealing" each others ideas. I just love LEGO Trains.

Kees van Liere

Posted on January 03, 2014 at 1:45 PM
Reply Quote
kees Kees van Liere

Name: Kees van Liere

Time being part of the community: I have been on Railbricks for about 2 years. I have been working with Lego since I was very little.

LTC?LUG affiliations: I am currently in an unofficial LTC. GRALTC, Grand Rapids Area LTC. Which I hope will soon be officially recognized.

Likes/ Didlikes: I always like seeing the instructions here (though I wish there were more). I like having a central place where we can share ideas etc. I also like how we don't mind each other "stealing" each others ideas. I just love LEGO Trains.

Kees van Liere

Posted on January 03, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Reply Quote
RailBlox Colin Redner

I would suggest joining wmltc (division of MichLUG) http://www.wmltc.org/  Getting a LUG started/recognized can be very difficult, and joining the one closest to you can be very helpfull. I know a few guys over there (I'm from Ann Arbor), and they're good guys.

Posted on January 03, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Reply Quote
kees Kees van Liere

re: re: Introductions

Are there any joining requirements? We met them at the Grand River Valley model RR club train show and if I remember correctly there was some sort of age limit that some of us didn't meet.

Kees van Liere

Posted on January 03, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Reply Quote
dieselhead Thomas van Liere
Total Posts: 5

Thomas van Liere

Grand Rapids, MI

I joined RB about a year ago, but I was building a few MOCs before that.

I have no official club, but a few friends and I have a modular layout that we take to shows.

I really miss 9v, although I was not into LEGO trains when it was sold, and, as Swoofty said, PF does not work well with 6 wide, unless you put the battery box in another car.

Posted on January 05, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Reply Quote
RailBlox Colin Redner

Kees, 

I am not very familiar with the rules of the club, but I am sre they are posted somewhere on the internet ;)

Thomas, 

That's why 8-wide is so great ;)

Posted on January 06, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Reply Quote
Duq Ronald Vallenduuk

Kees van Liere... There has to be a Dutch or Belgian connection in your family...

Posted on February 01, 2014 at 2:46 AM
Reply Quote
kees Kees van Liere

re: re: Introductions

yup, dutch.

Kees van Liere

Posted on February 25, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Reply Quote

Subject